2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS: Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth rate: Average
- Flowering period: May – June
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual height: 1.5 – 2.5m
- Eventual spread: 1.5 – 2.5m
Weigela Florida Alexandra, also known as ‘Weigela Alexandra’ and holder of the prestigious RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a deciduous shrub that belongs to the Caprifoliaceae family. It is a popular ornamental plant known for its profuse blooming, vibrant foliage, and attractive habit.
The shrub grows up to 2.5 metres tall and wide, forming an upright, spreading habit. The leaves are dark green, ovate, and up to 10cm long. In the Autumn, the foliage turns a beautiful reddish-purple colour. It produces funnel-shaped, pink flowers that bloom in late Spring and continue to bloom sporadically throughout the Summer. The flowers are borne in clusters at the tips of the branches and attract bees and butterflies.
The plant is easy to grow and can adapt to a wide range of soil types, including sandy, loamy, or clay soils. It prefers a well-draining soil and a location that receives full sun to partial shade. It is relatively drought tolerant, but it benefits from regular watering during prolonged dry periods.
This variety is an excellent choice for mixed borders, foundation plantings, or as a specimen plant. Its compact habit makes it suitable for smaller gardens or for use in containers. The shrub also works well in mass plantings or as a low hedge.
In conclusion, this is a versatile and attractive shrub that provides season-long interest with its showy flowers, colourful foliage, and low maintenance requirements. It is a great addition to any garden and will surely make a statement in any landscape.
How to care for your Weigela Florida Alexandra
- Sunlight: Prefers a location that receives full sun to partial shade. It can tolerate some shade, but the plant may produce fewer flowers and less vibrant foliage in shady areas.
- Soil: The shrub can adapt to a wide range of soil types, but it prefers a well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. The soil pH should be slightly acidic to neutral.
- Watering: The plant needs regular watering, especially during prolonged dry periods. Water the plant deeply at least once a week to keep the soil moist. Avoid overwatering, as the plant can be susceptible to root rot.
- Fertiliser: Fertilise in the Spring with a balanced fertiliser to promote healthy growth and blooming. Repeat every 4-6 weeks during the growing season.
- Pruning: Prune in late Winter or early Spring to remove any dead or damaged wood and to shape the plant. If necessary, the shrub can be cut back to rejuvenate its growth.
- Mulching: Mulch around the base of the plant with a layer of organic matter, such as compost or shredded leaves, to help retain moisture and suppress weed growth.
- Propagation: It can be propagated through softwood cuttings taken in the Summer or hardwood cuttings taken in the Autumn or Winter. Plant the cuttings in a well-draining soil mix and keep them moist until they begin to root.
By following these care tips, you can ensure that your Weigela Florida Alexandra shrub grows healthy and produces abundant flowers and attractive foliage. With its low maintenance requirements and stunning appearance, this shrub is an excellent addition to any garden or landscape.