2-3 Litre pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Flowering Period: April-May
- Hardiness: H7
- Eventual Height: 0.1 – 0.5m
- Eventual Spread: 0.1 -0.5m
Epimedium Rubrum, also known as ‘Red Barrenwort’ and holder of the much coveted RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a hardy, deciduous perennial that is native to China and Japan. This plant is prized for its stunning, young red foliage that emerges in early Spring and lasts throughout the growing season. The foliage is accented by delicate, sprays of small, pinkish-red flowers that appear in Spring and early Summer and typically grows to be 30 centimetres tall and wide at maturity.
Historically, Epimedium Rubrum was first discovered in China and Japan, and was first introduced to Western gardens in the early 20th century. In Japan, the plant is known for its beautiful Autumn foliage. It is a relatively rare cultivar, but it is becoming increasingly popular as gardeners discover its unique beauty and hardiness.
How to care for your Epimedium Rubrum
- Planting: Should be planted in a well-drained, rich soil in a location that receives dappled sunlight or filtered light throughout the day. The plant can tolerate partial shade, but it will perform best in light shade.
- Watering: During the first few years after planting, it is important to keep the soil consistently moist, but not waterlogged. Once established, the plant is relatively drought-tolerant, but it is still important to keep the soil consistently moist during dry periods.
- Fertilising: A slow-release fertiliser or a balanced organic fertiliser can be applied in the Spring.
- Pruning: Does not require regular pruning, but it can be cut back to the ground in late Winter or early Spring to encourage new growth.
- Winter Care: It is hardy can tolerate temperatures as low as -20°C. It is not necessary to provide additional Winter protection, but it is a good idea to mulch around the base of the plant to help insulate the roots.
By following these simple care tips, Epimedium Rubrum will thrive in your garden and provide you with beautiful, deep red foliage and delicate, pinkish-red flowers for many years to come.