5 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual Height: 8 – 12m
- Eventual Spread: 2.5 – 4m
Cryptomeria Japonica Sekkan-Sugi is a cultivar of Japanese Cedar, also known as Cryptomeria Elegans. This beautiful evergreen tree is known for its attractive foliage which turns a pale creamy yellow in Spring and bears brown female cones. It is a slow-growing plant that can reach heights of up to 12 metres, and is often used as a specimen tree or in small groupings.
The plant is native to Japan and is found in the wild in the central and southern regions of the country. It was first discovered and named in the 19th century by Japanese botanist T. Nakai.
How to care for your Cryptomeria Japonica Sekkan-Sugi
- Light: This plant prefers full sun to partial shade. It can tolerate full shade, but it may not produce as much new growth.
- Soil: Prefers well-drained soil.
- Water: Once established, this plant is drought-tolerant. However, it is important to keep the soil consistently moist during the first growing season to help the roots establish.
- Fertiliser: In Spring, apply a slow-release fertiliser to the soil around the base of the plant. Avoid over-fertilising, as this can cause the needles to turn yellow.
- Pruning: This plant has a natural pyramidal shape, but you may need to prune it to maintain its shape. Prune the tree in late winter or early spring before new growth appears.
- Temperature: It is hardy and can tolerate temperatures down to -20˚C ..
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Cryptomeria Japonica Sekkan-Sugi will thrive and provide an attractive addition to your landscape.