5 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Flowering Period: September – October
- Hardiness: H4
- Eventual Height: 1 – 1.5m
- Eventual Spread: 1 – 1.5m
Arundo Donax Variegata Compacta, also known as the ‘Arondo Donax Ely’, is an evergreen, compact, clump-forming perennial grass with stout stems of long arching strap like grey-green, and creamy-white, striped bamboo-like foliage, occasionally bearing panicles of green to purple spikelets. A superb architectural plant, its upright habit providing colourful height to the pond side or border planting scheme.
How to care for your Arundo Donax Variegata Compactum
- Planting Location: Choose a well-drained location in your garden. It prefers soil that does not stay excessively wet but can tolerate a range of soil types.
- Sunlight: Plant it in a spot that receives at least 6 to 8 hours of direct sunlight per day for optimal growth and to bring out the vivid variegation in its foliage.
- Watering: Water regularly during the first growing season to help establish its root system. Once established, it is drought-tolerant and can thrive with less frequent watering. Water deeply when you do water, allowing the soil to dry slightly between waterings.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help conserve soil moisture, suppress weeds, and protect the roots. Ensure that the mulch does not cover the crown of the plant.
- Fertilization: Doesn’t require heavy feeding. You can apply a slow-release, balanced fertiliser in the Spring if your soil is nutrient-deficient. Avoid over-fertilisation, as it may lead to excessive foliage growth at the expense of variegation and compactness.
- Dividing: If the clump becomes overcrowded or loses its vigour, you can divide it in early Spring before new growth emerges. This will help maintain the plant’s health and compact form.
- Maintenance: Regularly remove dead or unsightly foliage throughout the growing season to keep the plant looking its best.
By following these care instructions, you can enjoy the striking variegated foliage and graceful plumes while keeping the plant healthy and well-maintained in your garden. It’s an excellent choice for gardeners who appreciate its unique appearance and relatively low-maintenance requirements.