2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: Spring
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual Height: 8 – 12m
- Eventual Spread: wider than 8m
Akebia Quinata, also known as the Chocolate Vine is an average growing perennial vine that produces beautiful purple-chocolate coloured flowers in the Spring. This hardy plant is perfect for covering fences, walls, and trellises, and it’s also great for creating privacy screens. Its dark green foliage provides a lush backdrop for its striking flowers and can be used to add vertical interest to any garden. Akebia Quinata is easy to grow and care for, making it a great choice for both experienced and novice gardeners. This versatile plant is also known for its hardiness and ability to grow in a wide range of climates.
Akebia Quinata is a relatively easy plant to care for and maintain. Here are a few tips to help you.
- This plant prefers well drained soil and partial shade. It can also tolerate full sun if the soil is moist. When planting, make sure to give enough room to grow, as it can spread up to 8 metres.
- The Chocolate Vine is drought tolerant, but it will grow best with regular watering. During hot, dry weather it is important to make sure the soil stays moist.
- Pruning is not necessary, but you can trim the plant to control its size and shape. If you want to encourage more blooms, prune the plant immediately after it finishes blooming.