2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile well drained
- Growth rate: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: H5
- Eventual height: 1.5 – 2.5m
- Eventual spread: 1.5 – 2.5m
Abelia Schumannii, commonly known as ‘Schumann Abelia’ is a stunning ornamental shrub with a rich history dating back to the early 20th century. This beautiful shrub is prized for its delicate, fragrant funnel shaped lilac pink flowers and attractive green foliage.
Originating from China, Abelia Schumannii was introduced to the western world by renowned German botanist, Dr. Carl Schumann, in 1900. Growing up to 2.5 metres tall and wide, this hardy shrub is easy to care for and adapts well to a variety of soil conditions. With its long blooming season from Summer to Autumn, it is sure to add a touch of elegance and fragrance to your garden or landscaping project.
How to care for your Abelia Schumannii
- Sunlight: Prefers full sun to partial shade, and will flower best in full sun. In areas with hot summers, it’s best to give your plant some afternoon shade to protect it from the harsh sun.
- Watering: Is drought tolerant once established, but it does require regular watering during its first growing season to become established. After that, water your shrub deeply once a week, or as needed, to keep the soil evenly moist but not waterlogged.
- Soil: It grows best in well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter. If your soil is heavy or clay-like, consider amending it with compost or other organic matter to improve the soil structure.
- Fertilising: Benefits from regular fertilising to encourage healthy growth and abundant blooms. Apply a balanced, slow-release fertiliser in the Spring, and again in mid-Summer.
- Pruning: Pruning can help to maintain its shape and encourage new growth. Prune your shrub back by one-third to one-half in the late Winter or early Spring, cutting back any dead or damaged wood and shaping the plant as desired.
By following these simple care instructions, you can help your Abelia Schumannii thrive and enjoy its delicate, fragrant blooms and attractive foliage for years to come.