2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, full – partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: May – June
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual Height: 2 – 3m
- Eventual Spread: 3 – 4m
Pyracantha Red Column, also known as ‘Firethorn’ is a stunning upright and thorny evergreen shrub that is often used as a hedge, screen or as a specimen plant in gardens and landscapes. The plant is native to western Europe and is very popular in the United Kingdom, where it is widely grown in gardens and parks.
The Pyracantha Red Column is known for its upright, columnar growth habit, which makes it perfect for narrow spaces or as a vertical accent in the garden. It typically grows to a height of 3 metres, with a spread of 4 metres and has dense foliage of glossy, dark green leaves that provide a great backdrop for the stunning display of bright red berries that appear in late Summer and persist through Winter.
In the Spring, it produces clusters of small, white flowers that are attractive to bees and other pollinators. The flowers are followed by the berries, which are round and about 0.5cm in diameter. The berries are not only beautiful, but also provide a valuable source of food for birds during the Winter months.Pyracantha Red Column is a tough and resilient plant that is tolerant of a wide range of growing conditions.
It prefers full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil, but it can also tolerate some drought and pollution. It is also resistant to many common diseases and pests, making it a low-maintenance addition to the garden.
One of the best features of the Pyracantha is its versatility in the landscape. It can be used as a hedge, screen or as a specimen plant in a mixed border. Its vertical habit makes it perfect for adding height to a planting scheme, and it can also be trained against a wall or fence for a dramatic effect.
In conclusion, this is a beautiful and versatile shrub that provides year-round interest in the garden. With its stunning red berries, glossy green foliage and upright growth habit, it is a great addition to any garden or landscape.
How to care for your Pyracantha Red Column
- Watering: Prefers well-drained soil that is kept slightly moist. Water the plant regularly during the growing season, but be careful not to overwater it. Allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings.
- Fertilising: Feed the plant with a balanced fertiliser in the Spring and Summer to promote healthy growth and flowering.
- Pruning: Prune the plant in late Winter or early Spring to control its size and shape. It can be pruned hard, but avoid cutting back into old wood as it may not produce new growth. Remove any dead, diseased or damaged branches throughout the year.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant to help retain moisture and suppress weeds.
- Sunlight: Prefers full sun to partial shade. It will tolerate some shade but may produce fewer flowers and berries.
- Training: If you want to train the plant against a wall or fence, tie the stems to the support with soft twine. Prune the plant regularly to keep it within the desired shape and size.
By following these simple care instructions, you can keep your Pyracantha Red Column healthy and looking beautiful year after year.