2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: Spring – Autumn
- Hardiness: H3
- Eventual Height: 1 – 1.5m
- Eventual Spread: 0.5 – 1m
Abutilon Milleri Variegatum, also known as ‘Variegated Flowering Maple’, is an evergreen shrub that belongs to the family, Malvaceae. It is a popular ornamental plant due to its striking variegated foliage and attractive bell-shaped flowers.
This variety can grow up to 1.5 metres tall and spread up to 1 metre wide. It has a rounded, bushy shape with multiple stems branching out from the base. The leaves are the main attraction of this plant. They are large, ovate to heart-shaped and have a distinctive variegated pattern of cream and green colours. The leaves have a slightly velvety texture, which adds to their overall appeal.
The bell-shaped flowers are red and orange in colour and bloom from Summer through early Autumn. The flowers are pendulous and can reach up to 5 cm in diameter. They are borne on long peduncles that arise from the leaf axils.
In summary, this is a beautiful and versatile shrub that adds a splash of colour and texture to any garden or landscape. Its variegated foliage and delicate flowers make it a popular choice among gardeners, and its easy-going nature makes it an ideal plant for beginners.
How to care for your Abutilon Milleri Variegatum
- Watering: Prefers consistent moisture, but its soil should be allowed to dry out slightly between waterings. Water the plant deeply once or twice a week during the growing season, and reduce watering frequency in the winter months.
- Soil: The plant prefers a well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. You can amend the soil with compost or aged manure to improve its quality.
- Fertiliser: Benefits from regular fertilisation with a balanced fertiliser, especially during the growing season. Apply the fertiliser according to the package instructions, and avoid over-fertilising, which can lead to leaf burn and other issues.
- Sunlight: The plant prefers full sun but can also tolerate partial shade. If you are growing it indoors, place it in a bright, sunny spot near a window.
- Pruning: Pruning is not necessary, but you can trim it back to maintain its size and shape. Prune in the Spring or early Summer before the plant begins to produce new growth.
With proper care, Abutilon Milleri Variegatum can thrive for many years, adding beauty and texture to your garden or home.