2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth rate: Slow
- Flowering period: May – June
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual height: 0.1 – 0.5m
- Eventual spread: 0.1 – 0.5m
Weigela Florida Pink Poppet is a compact, deciduous shrub that is highly prized for its abundant clusters of pink, trumpet-shaped flowers that bloom in late Spring to early Summer. This hybrid cultivar was developed in the Netherlands, and it is a popular choice for gardens, landscapes, and container plantings.
The plant typically grows to a height and spread of 0.5 metres, with a dense, rounded habit. The leaves are dark green, ovate, and up to 8cm long. They provide an attractive backdrop for the profusion of bright pink flowers that are borne in clusters at the tips of the branches.
The flowers are highly attractive to pollinators, such as bees and butterflies and are produced in such abundance that they can nearly cover the entire shrub, creating a stunning display of colour.
Overall, this is an excellent choice for adding colour and interest to a garden or landscape. With its vibrant pink flowers and low maintenance requirements, this plant is sure to be a showstopper in any setting.
How to care for your Weigela Florida Pink Poppet
- Sunlight: Prefers a location that receives full sun to partial shade. It can tolerate some shade, but the plant may produce fewer flowers and less vibrant foliage in shady areas.
- Soil: Can adapt to a wide range of soil types, but it prefers a well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. The soil pH should be slightly acidic to neutral.
- Watering: Needs regular watering, especially during prolonged dry periods. Water the plant deeply at least once a week to keep the soil moist. Avoid overwatering, as the plant can be susceptible to root rot.
- Fertiliser: Fertilise in the Spring with a balanced fertiliser to promote healthy growth and blooming. Repeat every 4-6 weeks during the growing season.
- Pruning: Requires minimal pruning, but can be shaped in late Winter or early Spring to maintain its size and shape. Any dead or damaged wood should also be removed at this time. Avoid heavy pruning, as the shrub blooms on old wood.
- Mulching: Mulch around the base of the plant with a layer of organic matter, such as compost or shredded leaves, to help retain moisture and suppress weed growth.
- Propagation: It can be propagated through softwood cuttings taken in the Summer or hardwood cuttings taken in the Autumn or Winter. Plant the cuttings in a well-draining soil mix and keep them moist until they begin to root.
By following these care tips, you can ensure that your Weigela Pink Poppet shrub grows healthy and produces abundant flowers and attractive foliage for years to come.