2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth rate: Slow
- Flowering period: April
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual height: 1 – 1.5m
- Eventual spread: 1 – 1.5m
Weigela Middendorffiana is a deciduous shrub native to parts of Japan and Northern China, with bright green leaves and unusual bell-shaped, pale yellow flowers in late Spring to early Summer. This stunning shrub is perfect for adding a splash of colour to your garden. It prefers full sun or partial shade and moist soil, and can grow up to 1.5 metres tall. It pairs well with other perennials, making it a great addition to any garden. This Weigela is a must-have for any gardener looking to add a unique and beautiful plant to their landscape.
This Weigela was first mentioned in 1851 as a new variety that was being sold in England. It is attractive to wildlife, especially bees, and is easy to grow and maintain. It is often cultivated in gardens for its ornamental features and is also used in bonsai tree cultivation, where its flowers and bark are highly valued.
How to care for your Weigela Middendorffiana
- Sunlight: Thrives in full sun to partial shade. Ensure that your plant receives at least six hours of sunlight daily.
- Soil: This plant prefers well-draining, fertile soil. Amend the soil with compost or well-rotted manure to improve its texture and nutrient content.
- Watering: Requires regular watering, especially during hot and dry periods. Water deeply once a week, ensuring that the soil remains moist but not waterlogged.
- Fertilisation: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertiliser in early Spring when new growth appears. Avoid over fertilisation, as this can lead to excessive foliage growth at the expense of flowers.
- Pruning: Prune in late Winter or early Spring before new growth appears. Remove any dead, diseased or crossing branches, and shape the plant to maintain its desired size and shape. Prune lightly to encourage more flowers.
- Mulching: Mulch around the base with a layer of organic mulch, such as bark chips or compost. This will help to conserve moisture, suppress weeds and improve soil health.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your Weigela Middendorffiana remains healthy and vibrant for years to come.