2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full Sun, Partial Shade, Full Shade
- Soil: Moist, Well Drained
- Growth rate: Average
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual height: 0.5 – 1m
- Eventual spread: 1 – 1.5m
Weigela Foliis Purpureis is a small evergreen shrub with stunning deep purple foliage. It is perfect for adding colour and texture to any garden with its clusters of rosy pink flowers that are a paler pink inside making it an excellent choice for creating a unique and eye-catching display.
This variety of Weigela is native to Asia, particularly in China and Korea, it was first introduced to Europe and North America in the 19th century and has been widely cultivated as an ornamental plant. It is a hardy shrub that is easy to care for and maintain, making it a popular choice for gardens.
How to care for your Weigela Floiis Purpereis
- Sunlight: Thrives in full sun to partial shade. Ensure that your plant receives at least six hours of sunlight daily.
- Soil: Prefers well-draining, fertile soil with a pH of 5.5 to 6.5. Amend the soil with compost or well-rotted manure to improve its texture and nutrient content.
- Watering: Requires regular watering, especially during hot and dry periods. Water deeply once a week, ensuring that the soil remains moist but not waterlogged.
- Fertilisation: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertiliser in early Spring when new growth appears. Avoid over fertilisation, as this can lead to excessive foliage growth at the expense of flowers.
- Pruning: Prune in late Winter or early Spring before new growth appears. Remove any dead, diseased or crossing branches, and shape the plant to maintain its desired size and shape.
- Mulching: Mulch around the base with a layer of organic mulch, such as bark chips or compost. This will help to conserve moisture, suppress weeds and improve soil health.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your Weigela Foliis Purpureis remains healthy and vibrant for years to come.