2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: August-November
- Hardiness: H7
- Eventual Height: 0.1-0.5m
- Eventual Spread: 0.1-0.5m
Sedum Spectabile Brilliant, also known as ‘Ice Plant’ and holder of the prestigious RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a popular cultivar of the Sedum Spectabile species and is a low-maintenance perennial succulent that is prized for its attractive foliage and showy blooms. It is commonly used in rock gardens, borders, and as a ground cover.
It typically grows to a height and spread of 50 cm and features large, fleshy, blue-green leaves that are arranged in whorls along the stems. The leaves are elongated and slightly curved, giving them a unique texture. In late Summer to early Autumn it produces clusters of star-shaped flowers that are a dark rose pink in colour and are a popular attraction for bees, butterflies, and other pollinators.
This Sedum variety is easy to grow and is adaptable to a wide range of soil types, from sandy to clay. It prefers full sun to partial shade and is drought-tolerant, making it ideal for dry or rocky areas. It is also resistant to deer, rabbits, and most pests and diseases.
How to care for your Sedum Spectabile Brilliant
- Watering: It is drought tolerant and does not require frequent watering. However, during prolonged dry periods, you may need to water it to keep the soil moist.
- Soil: This plant prefers well-drained soil, but can tolerate a range of soil types. It can also grow in poor or rocky soils.
- Fertilising: Does not require regular fertilisation. However, you can apply a balanced fertiliser in the Spring to promote healthy growth.
- Pruning: You can prune back the stems in the Spring to encourage bushier growth. You can also deadhead the spent flower heads to promote additional blooms.
- Winter care: This plant is hardy and can withstand winter temperatures in most regions. However, in colder climates, it may benefit from a layer of mulch to protect the roots.
Overall, this is a stunning and low maintenance plant that is easy to care for. Its attractive foliage and showy blooms make it a great addition to any garden, and its tolerance for a variety of growing conditions make it a great choice for both novice and experienced gardeners.