2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Partial shade or sun
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: Summer
- Hardiness: H5
- Eventual Height: 0.1 – 0.5m
- Eventual Spread: 0.1 – 0.5m
Saxifraga Umbrosa Variegata, also known as ‘London Pride’, is a small, evergreen perennial that belongs to the family Saxifragaceae. It is a herbaceous perennial that typically grows to a height and spread of up to 0.5 metres.
The Saxifraga Umbrosa Variegata is characterised by its attractive variegated leaves that have a striking appearance and are oval-shaped, with a slightly serrated edge. They are light green in colour with cream-coloured margins and are arranged in rosettes that grow from a central rootstock. In the Spring and early Summer, the plant produces tall, wiry stems that bear clusters of small, star-shaped pink flowers that have a sweet fragrance.
This is a relatively low-maintenance plant that is easy to grow and care for, preferring a cool, shady location and moist, well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter. It is tolerant of a wide range of soil pH levels, from acidic to alkaline and is a popular choice for use in rock gardens, woodland gardens, and as a ground cover. It can also be grown in containers and used as a houseplant.
In conclusion, this is a beautiful and versatile plant that can add colour and interest to any garden or indoor space. With its striking variegated leaves and delicate, sweet-scented flowers, it is sure to be a popular choice for both novice and experienced gardeners alike.
How to care for your Saxifraga Umbrosa Variegata
- Light: Prefers partial shade to full shade. It can tolerate some morning sun, but avoid direct sunlight during the hot afternoon hours.
- Watering: This plant prefers moist, well-drained soil that is kept evenly moist. Water the plant deeply and regularly during the growing season, but avoid overwatering, as this can lead to root rot.
- Soil: Prefers a slightly acidic to neutral soil pH. Use a well-draining soil mix that is rich in organic matter. Avoid heavy clay soils or soils that are too dry.
- Fertiliser: Fertilise once or twice a year, in the Spring and/or Autumn, with a balanced, slow-release fertiliser. F
- Pruning: Remove any dead or damaged leaves or stems as needed to keep the plant looking neat and healthy. Cut back the flowering stems after blooming to encourage bushier growth.
- Propagation: It can be propagated by dividing the rootstock in the Spring or early Autumn. Dig up the plant, separate the root clumps, and replant in fresh soil.
By following these care tips, you can enjoy the beauty of Saxifraga Umbrosa Variegata in your garden or indoor space for many years to come.