2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full – partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual Height: 0.1 – 0.5m
- Eventual Spread: 0.1 – 0.5m
Phyllitis Scolopendrium, also known as ‘Hart’s Tongue Fern’ and holder of the prestigious RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a stunning evergreen fern that adds a touch of elegance and charm to any garden or indoor space. This plant is known for its unique and striking fronds, which are long and tongue-shaped, with a glossy green surface that adds a touch of sophistication to any environment.
This versatile plant can be grown in a variety of settings, including rock gardens, shaded borders, and even as an indoor plant. It is also easy to care for, making it an ideal choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. It is tolerant of a range of growing conditions, including shade and dry soil.
Whether you’re looking to add a touch of greenery to your garden or create a soothing indoor environment, this is the perfect choice. Order yours today and enjoy the many benefits of this beautiful and versatile plant.
How to care for your Phyllitis Scolopendrium
- Soil: Prefers well-draining, humus-rich soil. Amend the soil with compost or other organic matter before planting if necessary.
- Watering: Water the plant deeply and regularly, especially during the first year after planting. Ensure that the soil around the plant remains moist but not waterlogged. Avoid overwatering, as this can lead to root rot.
- Sunlight: This plant prefers partial to full shade. Be sure to plant it in a location where it can receive filtered sunlight or dappled shade.
- Fertiliser: Does not require regular fertilisation. However, you can feed it with a balanced, water-soluble fertiliser every few months during the growing season to encourage healthy growth.
- Pruning: Prune in late Winter or early Spring to remove any dead or damaged fronds and to shape the plant as desired. Avoid pruning in the Autumn, as this can stimulate new growth that may be damaged by Winter weather.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant to help retain moisture and suppress weeds.
With proper care, your Phyllitis Scolopendrium will provide year-round beauty and enjoyment in your garden or indoor space.