2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full sun
- Soil: Well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Hardiness: H7
- Eventual Height: 1 – 1.5m
- Eventual Spread: 1 – 1.5m
Juniperus Holger, also known as ‘Flaky Juniper’ and holder of the much coveted RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a popular evergreen conifer that is known for its distinctive blue-grey needle like leaves and attractive form. This striking conifer is a cultivar of the Squam shrub, a species that is native to the high mountain regions of central Asia.
The Holger cultivar was first introduced to the horticultural trade in the early 20th century and has since become a staple in many gardens and landscaping projects. This particular cultivar is prized for its compact, rounded form, and its dense, tight growth habit. The foliage is a stunning powdery blue-grey colour that is maintained throughout the year, adding interest and contrast to any garden setting.
In terms of cultivation, this Juniperus is a hardy plant that can thrive in a wide range of soil types, as long as the soil is well-draining. It is also drought-tolerant and can withstand cold temperatures, making it an excellent choice for gardeners in colder climates. When planted in full sun, the ‘Holger’ cultivar will grow to a height of 1.5 metres, with a similar spread.
Whether planted as a specimen tree, used in mass plantings, or trimmed into a neatly-shaped hedge, this is a versatile plant that is sure to add a touch of style and sophistication to any outdoor space. If you are looking for an attractive and low-maintenance evergreen conifer for your garden, consider giving Juniperus Holger a try.
How to care for your Juniperus Holger
- Planting: When planting, select a sunny location with well-draining soil.
- Watering: This plant is drought-tolerant and does not require regular watering once established. Water regularly during the first growing season to help it establish a strong root system. After that, only water during periods of prolonged drought.
- Pruning: Does not require regular pruning, but it can be trimmed to maintain its shape or to control its size. Prune it in late Winter or early Spring, before new growth begins.
- Fertilising: This plant is not heavy feeders and does not require regular fertilisation. If you choose to fertilise, use a balanced, slow-release fertiliser in Spring.
With proper care, Juniperus Holger can be a low-maintenance and long lived addition to your garden.