2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Hardiness: H7
- Eventual Height: 2.5 – 4m
- Eventual Spread: 0.1 – 0.5m
Juniperus Hibernica, also known as ‘Irish Juniper’ and holder of the prestigious RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a slow-growing evergreen conifer. This species has been used for centuries in traditional gardens and has a long history of cultural significance in Ireland.
The Hibernica is a compact and dense shrub that grows to a height of 4 metres and spreads to a width of 1/2 metre. Its grey green needles are aromatic and provide year-round interest in the landscape. The foliage takes on a purplish-blue hue in the Winter months, adding even more interest to the landscape.
If you are looking for a beautiful and low-maintenance conifer, the Juniperus Hibernica is an excellent choice. With its compact habit and striking grey green foliage, this species is sure to make a lasting impression in your garden. Its long history of cultural significance in Ireland only adds to its charm, making it a plant that is both beautiful and historically significant.
How to care for your Juniperus Hibernica
- Light: Prefers full sun to partial shade. In areas with hot summers, it is best to provide some afternoon shade to protect the foliage from scorching.
- Soil: This plant is adaptable to a wide range of soil types, but prefers well-draining soil. If your soil is heavy or poorly drained, amend it with compost or sand to improve its structure.
- Watering: It is drought-tolerant and does not require frequent watering. Water it deeply and infrequently, and avoid overwatering which can lead to root rot.
- Fertilisation: This plant is not a heavy feeder and does not need to be fertilised regularly. If you wish to fertilise, you can use a slow-release fertiliser once a year in early Spring.
- Pruning: It is a slow-growing plant and does not require frequent pruning. If you need to control its size or shape, you can prune it after it finishes blooming, in late Spring or early Summer.
- Winter Protection: It is hardy down to temperatures < -20˚C. However, in very harsh winters, it may be beneficial to protect it with a layer of mulch or a Winter-proof covering.
By following these simple care tips, your Juniperus Hibernica will thrive and provide you with years of enjoyment in your garden.