2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full sun
- Soil: Well drained
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Hardiness: H7
- Eventual Height: 0.5 – 1cm
- Eventual Spread: 0.1. – 0.5m
Juniperus Compressa, also known as ‘Common Dwarf Juniper’ and holder of the prestigious RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a slow growing narrow evergreen shrub and is prized for its compact, upright growth habit and dense, dark grey green foliage.
The Compressa grows slowly to a height of 1 metre and spreads to a width of 1/2 metre which makes it an excellent choice for rock gardens, borders, and ground cover. Its needle-like leaves are fragrant and retain their grey green colour throughout the year, providing year-round interest in the landscape.
The use of Junipers in traditional gardens has a long history, dating back to ancient times. In the Middle Ages, they were used in Europe to create knot gardens, and they have been used in Japanese gardens for centuries.Today, the Juniperus Compressa is a popular choice for modern gardens and is a versatile plant that can be used in many different ways.
How to care for your Juniperus Compressa
- Soil: This plant prefers well-drained soil and can tolerate a wide range of soil types, including sandy and clay soils. However, it should be avoided planting in areas with standing water.
- Watering: It is relatively drought-tolerant once established. During the growing season, it’s recommended to water it once a week, but avoid overwatering as it can lead to root rot. In the Winter, it can go longer periods without water.
- Light: It can grow in full sun to partial shade, but it thrives in full sun.
- Pruning: Pruning is not necessary for this plant, but it can be trimmed to maintain its shape or to control its growth. It is recommended to prune it after the growing season to avoid damaging new growth.
- Fertilisation: It doesn’t require much fertiliser and can grow well in poor soils. However, you can add an all-purpose fertiliser once a year in the Spring to promote growth.
If you are looking for a low-growing, low-maintenance evergreen shrub, the Juniperus Compressa is an excellent choice. With its compact growth habit, fragrant foliage, and long history of cultural significance, this species is sure to make a lasting impression in your garden.