2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Well drained
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Hardiness: H7
- Eventual Height: 0.1 – 0.5m
- Eventual Spread: 0.5 – 1m
Juniperus Blue Star, also known as ‘Flaky Juniper’ and holder of the prestigious RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a compact, evergreen conifer that is prized for its striking blue foliage and slow-growing habit. This species is native to central China and has been grown in cultivation for centuries, making it a popular choice for modern gardens.
The Blue Star grows to a height of 1/2 metre and spreads to a width of 1 metre, making it an ideal choice for smaller gardens or as a border plant. Its slow-growing habit also makes it an excellent choice for rock gardens or as a container plant.
The blue needles of the Blue Star are dense and soft to the touch, adding both texture and colour to the landscape. In the Winter months, the foliage of this plant takes on a purplish-blue hue, adding even more interest to the landscape.
How to care for your Juniperus Blue Star
- Light: Prefers full sun to partial shade. In areas with hot Summers, it is best to provide some afternoon shade to protect the foliage from scorching.
- Soil: This plant is adaptable to a wide range of soil types, but prefers well-draining soil. If your soil is heavy or poorly drained, amend it with compost or sand to improve its structure.
- Watering: It is drought-tolerant and does not require frequent watering. Water it deeply and infrequently, and avoid overwatering which can lead to root rot.
- Fertilization: This plant is not a heavy feeder and does not need to be fertilised regularly. If you wish to fertilise, you can use a slow-release fertiliser once a year in early Spring.
- Pruning: It is a slow-growing plant and does not require frequent pruning. If you need to control its size or shape, you can prune it after it finishes blooming, in late Spring or early Summer.
- Winter Protection: It is hardy in temperatures < -20˚C. However, in very harsh winters, it may be beneficial to protect it with a layer of mulch or a winter-proof covering.
By following these simple care tips, your Juniperus Blue Star will thrive and provide you with years of enjoyment in your garden.