3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Well drained
- Growth rate: Average
- Flowering period: August – September
- Hardiness: H3
- Eventual height: 1.5m
- Eventual spread: 1.5m
Escallonia Gold Brian is a bushy, compact, evergreen shrub that is native to South America, particularly Chile and Argentina. The history of Escallonia dates back to the 18th century, where it was discovered by European botanists and has been grown in gardens and landscapes for centuries.
This variety is a popular variety of Escallonia due to its striking golden-yellow foliage that adds a vibrant pop of colour to any garden or landscape. The foliage is glossy and evergreen, making it a great option for year-round interest. The plant produces clusters of small rosy red flowers in the Summer months, adding an additional layer of interest.
This plant grows to a height and width of around 1.5 metres, making it an excellent choice for hedging or as a standalone specimen. It is hardy down to -3˚C and prefers full sun to partial shade. It is also drought tolerant and can tolerate salt spray, making it a great option for coastal gardens. It is a very versatile plant and is often used for hedging.
How to care for your Escallonia Gold Brian
- Planting: Prefers full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil. It is adaptable to a variety of soil types, including sandy, clay, and loamy soils. When planting, be sure to amend the soil with compost or other organic matter to improve the drainage.
- Watering: It is drought tolerant, but you should water it regularly during the first growing season to help it establish a strong root system. After that, you can water it less frequently. Water only when the soil is dry to the touch.
- Fertilising: It will benefit from a balanced, slow-release fertiliser in the Spring.
- Pruning: It is a self-cleaning plant, so pruning is not necessary. However, if you wish to keep the plant a certain size or shape, you can prune it back in late Spring or early Summer.
- Overwintering: It is hardy down to -3˚C so will need protection in colder temperatures.
By following these simple care instructions, your Escallonia Gold Brian will thrive and add beauty to your garden for many years to come.