2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual Height: 4 – 8m
- Eventual Spread: 1 – 1.5m
Cryptomeria Elegans, also known as ‘Japanese Cedar’, is a species of conifer native to Japan and China. It is a member of the cypress family and is closely related to the Giant Sequoia. The name “Cryptomeria” comes from the Greek words “kryptos” meaning hidden and “meros” meaning parts, referring to the hidden parts of the tree, like the buds and inner bark.
The species is known for its large, conical shape, and soft green feathery juvenile foliage that turns an attractive red/bronze colour during the Autumn and Spring periods. It can grow up to 8 metres tall and is a popular choice for use as a specimen tree or in small groupings, and is also well suited to use as a hedge or screen.
How to care for your Cryptomeria Japonica Elegans
- Planting: Prefers well-drained, acidic soil and full sun, but it can also tolerate partial shade. When planting, ensure that the tree is planted in a location where it will receive at least 4 hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Watering: Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Avoid letting the soil dry out completely, as the tree’s needles will turn brown and fall off.
- Fertilising: Fertilise with an acid-loving fertiliser once a month during the growing season.
- Pruning: Prune the tree in late Winter or early Spring to shape it and remove any dead or damaged branches. Avoid heavy pruning, as it can cause the tree to lose its shape.
- Winter Care: It is hardy and can tolerate temperatures down to -20˚C. If you live in a colder climate, it’s advisable to provide the tree with a layer of mulch to protect the roots from the cold.
By following these simple care tips, you can ensure that your Cryptomeria Elegans will thrive and provide you with a stunning display for years to come.