2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual Height: 9m
- Eventual Spread: 5m
Cryptomeria Elegans Aurea, also known as ‘Japanese Red Cedar’ is a cultivar of the Cryptomeria Genus. It is native to Japan and China, where it has been used for centuries in traditional gardens and as a source of timber.
The ‘Aurea’ cultivar is prized for its striking green feathery foliage which turns yellow/green in the Winter. It is a slow-growing conifer that can reach a height of up to 9 metres and widths of 5 metres. It is a popular choice for use as a specimen tree or in small groupings, and is also well suited to use as a hedge or screen.
How to care for your Cryptomeria Elegans Aurea
- Planting: Prefers well-drained, acidic soil and full sun, but it can also tolerate partial shade. When planting, ensure that the tree is planted in a location where it will receive at least 4 hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Watering: Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Avoid letting the soil dry out completely, as the tree’s needles will turn brown and fall off.
- Fertilising: Fertilise with an acid-loving fertiliser once a month during the growing season.
- Pruning: Prune the tree in late Winter or early Spring to shape it and remove any dead or damaged branches. Avoid heavy pruning, as it can cause the tree to lose its shape.
- Winter Care: It is hardy and can tolerate temperatures down to -20˚C. If you live in a colder climate, it’s advisable to provide the tree with a layer of mulch to protect the roots from the cold.
By following these simple care tips, you can ensure that your Cryptomeria Elegans Aurea will thrive and provide you with a stunning display of vibrant foliage for years to come.