2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Flowering Period: May – June
- Hardiness: H5
- Eventual Height: 4 – 8m
- Eventual Spread: 2.5 – 4m
Clematis Montana Broughton Star, also known as ‘Clematis Broughton Star’ is a stunning and vigorous flowering vine that belongs to the Ranunculaceae family. Renowned for its captivating display of blossoms, this cultivar is a true gem in the world of ornamental gardening.
This variety is characterised by its abundant and elegant clusters of double star-shaped flowers that grace the landscape with a profusion of colour and beauty. The blooms typically emerge in late Spring to early Summer, creating a breathtaking spectacle as they cascade down fences, trellises, and arbors. Each flower features delicate, pointed petals that open wide to reveal a central tuft of striking stamens, creating a sense of depth and texture within the bloom.
Aside from its exquisite flowers, it also boasts lush and healthy foliage that serves as an attractive backdrop for the blooms. The leaves are typically dark green, providing a lush contrast to the delicate flowers and further enriching the overall aesthetics of the plant.
One of the most remarkable features of this Clematis cultivar is its impressive growth habit. It is a robust and vigorous vine, capable of covering large areas with its luxuriant foliage and prolific flowering. It thrives in a variety of garden settings, whether climbing up walls, adorning pergolas, or enhancing the natural beauty of trees.
How to care for your Clematis Broughton Star
- Location and Sunlight: Plant in a location that receives at least 6 hours of sunlight daily. While it appreciates full sun, it also tolerates partial shade, especially in regions with hot summers. Ensure the planting site has well-draining soil to prevent water logging.
- Soil Preparation and Watering: Prepare the soil by adding compost or well-rotted manure to improve drainage and soil structure. Water deeply and regularly, especially during the growing season to keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Mulch around the base of the plant to retain soil moisture and regulate temperature.
- Support Structure: Install a sturdy trellis, arbor, or support structure for the vine to climb. Make sure it’s securely anchored to prevent damage from wind or weight.
- Pruning: Prune after flowering. In late Spring or early Summer, remove any dead, damaged, or weak growth to encourage new shoots and promote better air circulation. Trim back unruly growth to maintain the desired shape and size. Be mindful not to cut off next season’s flower buds, which develop on the previous year’s growth.
- Fertilisation: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertiliser in early Spring as new growth emerges. Avoid excessive nitrogen, as it can lead to excessive foliage growth at the expense of flowers.
By following these care instructions, you’ll help ensure the health and beauty of your Clematis Montana Broughton Star, allowing it to thrive and reward you with a stunning display of star-shaped blossoms year after year.