5 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: April
- Hardiness: H5
- Eventual Height: 8 – 12m
- Eventual Spread: 4 – 8m
Cercis Texas White, also known as ‘Texas Eastern Redbud’ is a cultivar of the Eastern Redbud tree. It is native to Texas and is known for its beautiful white flowers that bloom on bare branches in the early Spring before the leaves appear. The tree can grow up to 12 metres tall and 8 metres wide, making it a great option for landscaping and backyard gardens.
In terms of landscape design, this Cercis is a great option for adding a unique and contrasting colour to your garden in the early Spring. The tree is also a popular choice for use as a focal point or as a specimen tree.
In terms of soil and sun requirements, it prefers well-draining soil and full sun to partial shade exposure. It is also drought-tolerant and can handle frost and cold temperatures. This makes it a great choice for gardeners in a wide range of climates.
How to care for your Cercis Texas White
- Planting: Prefers well-draining soil and full sun to partial shade exposure. When planting, make sure to dig a hole that is twice as wide as the root ball and just as deep. Backfill the hole with the removed soil and water thoroughly.
- Watering: Water the tree regularly during the first growing season after planting to establish a strong root system. Once established, it is relatively drought tolerant, but during prolonged dry spells, it is beneficial to give it a deep watering.
- Pruning: Prune the tree to remove dead or diseased wood and to shape the tree. It is best to prune the tree while it is still dormant.
- Fertilising: Fertilising is not necessary, but if the soil is poor, you can apply a balanced fertiliser in the Spring.
- Overwintering: It is hardy and can handle frost and cold temperatures down to -15˚C. However, in cold regions, it is recommended to mulch around the base of the tree to protect the roots from freezing.
By following these care instructions, you can ensure that your Cercis Texas White will thrive and bring a beautiful white flowering tree to your garden.