2-3 Litre pot
- Position: Full sun / partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: June – July
- Hardiness: H5
- Eventual Height: 2.5-4m
- Eventual Spread: 2.5-4m
Calycanthus Venus, also known as the “Carolina allspice” or “Sweet shrub,” is a beautiful and hardy deciduous shrub that is native to the southeastern United States. It is known for its large, fragrant flowers that bloom in the late Spring and early Summer, making it a popular choice for gardeners in the UK.
This shrub can grow up to 2-4 meters tall and wide, and it prefers full sun to partial shade. It is tolerant of a variety of soil types and can adapt to a range of conditions. It is a great choice for mixed borders, or as a standalone specimen in the garden.
One of the key features of Calycanthus Venus is its large, fragrant flowers that are creamy white in colour and have yellow and purple centre markings. The plant is also attractive to bees and butterflies and other pollinators. The leaves and bark of the plant have a spicy-sweet aroma, which is why it is also known as the “Sweet Shrub.”
How to care for your Calycanthus Venus
- Soil: Prefers well-drained, moist soil with a neutral to slightly acidic pH of 6.0 to 7.5. It is tolerant of a variety of soil types but prefers a soil that is rich in organic matter.
- Watering: Prefers consistently moist soil but it should not be waterlogged. Water your plant regularly, especially during dry spells, to ensure that the soil remains consistently moist.
- Sunlight: Prefers full sun to partial shade. It does well in locations that receive morning sun and afternoon shade.
- Fertilising: Does not require much fertilisation. If you want to promote more blooms, you can apply a balanced fertiliser in the Spring.
- Pruning: Does not require much pruning. However, you can cut back the foliage after it dies back to the ground in Autumn or early Spring to tidy up the plant.