10 Litre pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Flowering Period: April-May
- Hardiness: H4
- Eventual Height: 2.5 – 4m
- Eventual Spread: 2.5 – 4m
Azara Paraguayensis, also known as the ‘Paraguayan Azara’ or the ‘Paraguayan Hazel’, is a species of small tree or shrub that is native to the subtropical and temperate regions of South America, specifically in Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay.
It is a tree that typically grows to a height of 2.5 to 4 metres. The trunk of the tree is straight and has a greyish-brown bark, while the canopy is round and dense. The leaves of the plant are simple, alternate, and elliptic in shape, with a length of 5 to 10 cm and a width of 3 to 6 cm. They are dark green, glossy, and have a slightly serrated margin with a leathery texture. The flowers are small, yellow, and grow in clusters at the end of the branches.
The Paraguayan Azara is a hardy and adaptable tree that can thrive in a variety of soil types and climates, making it a popular choice for ornamental and commercial planting. It is also used as a source of firewood and as a windbreak. The tree is easy to propagate by seed and is a good choice for reforestation projects. Its nuts have a significant economic value, and its wood is used in construction, furniture and paper production.
How to care for your Azara Paraguayensis
- Light: This plant prefers partial shade to full sun. Place it in a location where it will receive at least four hours of sunlight each day.
- Watering: It prefers moist soil. Water the plant regularly, especially during the growing season, to ensure that the soil remains evenly moist. Avoid overwatering, as this can lead to root rot.
- Fertilisation: Apply a balanced fertiliser to the plant every two weeks during the growing season. This will help promote healthy growth and encourage blooming.
- Pruning: It can be pruned in early Spring to control its size and shape. Remove any dead or damaged branches, as well as any branches that are growing in the wrong direction. This will help the plant maintain a healthy, attractive appearance.
By following these simple care instructions, you can enjoy the beauty and fragrance of Azara Paraguayensis in your garden or indoor space.