2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full shade, Partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Hardiness: H6
- Eventual Height: 0.5 – 1m
- Eventual Spread: 0.5 – 1m
Athyrium Filix Femina, commonly known as ‘Lady Fern’, is a vigorous deciduous fern species that belongs to the family Athyriaceae. This fern species is native to Europe, Asia, and North America and is commonly found in damp woodland areas, along streams, and in marshy meadows. It is a popular ornamental plant and is widely cultivated in gardens and parks.
It has a slender and erect growth habit, and can reach a height of up to 1 metre. The plant has a rhizomatous root system that produces fronds, which are divided into several delicate, lance-shaped leaflets that are bright green in colour. The leaflets are typically arranged alternately along the stem, and have serrated margins that give them a lacy appearance. The fronds are supported by thin, wiry stems that arise from the rhizome.
This is a hardy plant that can tolerate a wide range of soil types, from acidic to alkaline, and prefers moist, well-drained soil. It grows best in partial to full shade, and is commonly used as a ground cover or to provide shade to smaller plants in woodland gardens.
Overall, this is a beautiful and versatile fern species that is widely appreciated for its ornamental value. Its graceful appearance and adaptability make it a popular choice among gardeners and landscapers.
How to care for your Athyrium Filix Femina
- Lighting: Prefers partial to full shade, so make sure to place it in a spot that receives indirect sunlight. Direct sunlight can scorch the leaves of the plant.
- Soil: Thrives in moist, well-drained soil. It is best to use a soil mixture that has good drainage properties, such as a mixture of peat moss, perlite, and sand.
- Watering: Regular watering is essential. Water the plant thoroughly and deeply, ensuring that the soil is evenly moist. Avoid overwatering, as this can cause the roots to rot. If the topsoil feels dry, it’s time to water again.
- Humidity: Prefers high humidity levels. To increase humidity, you can mist the leaves regularly, or place a tray of water near the plant to increase the moisture in the air.
- Fertiliser: Does not require heavy fertilisation. You can apply a balanced, slow-release fertiliser once in the Spring and once in the Summer to provide the plant with the necessary nutrients.
- Pruning: Does not require heavy pruning. However, you can remove any dead or damaged fronds to maintain the plant’s appearance and health.
- Repotting: If you are growing indoors, you may need to repot it every two to three years. When repotting, make sure to use a well-draining soil mixture and a pot that is slightly larger than the previous one.
By following these care tips, you can ensure that your Athyrium Filix Femina plant stays healthy and beautiful for years to come.