2-3 Litre Pot
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Position: Full sun
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Flowering Period: January – April
- Hardiness: H3
- Eventual Height: 8m
- Eventual Spread: 3m
Acacia Pravissima, commonly known as ‘Ovens Wattle’ or ‘Mimosa plant’ and a holder of the much coveted RHS Award of Garden Merit, is a loosely branched evergreen large shrub or small tree. It has pendant like branches with unusual triangular shaped evergreen grey-green leaves and has yellow sweetly fragranced flowers which although formed in the Winter do not fully open until Spring.
Acacia Pravissima was first introduced to the UK in the late 19th century as an ornamental plant. It was prized for its attractive foliage and yellow flowers. It was initially grown in botanic gardens and arboretums, but later it was also introduced to private gardens and public parks.
How to care for your Acacia Pravissima
- Sunlight: Grows best in full sun, but it can also tolerate partial shade. Choose a spot in your garden that receives at least 6 hours of sunlight per day.
- Watering: It is drought tolerant and can tolerate long periods of dry conditions, but it will grow best with regular watering during its first growing season to help it establish roots. Once established, the plant is quite low-maintenance and does not require frequent watering.
- Soil: It is adaptable to a wide range of soil types, but it prefers well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter. If your soil is heavy or clay-like, consider amending it with compost or other organic matter to improve the soil structure.
- Fertilising: Does not require frequent fertilising, but a balanced, slow-release fertiliser can be applied in the Spring to encourage healthy growth.
- Pruning: Pruning can help to maintain its shape and encourage new growth. Prune your plant back by one-third to one-half in the late Winter or early Spring, cutting back any dead or damaged wood and shaping the plant as desired.
By following these simple care instructions, you can help your Acacia Pravissima thrive and enjoy its delicate yellow flowers and attractive foliage for years to come.