2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: May – November
- Hardiness: H3
- Eventual Height: 1 – 2m
- Eventual Spread: 1 – 2m
Abutilon Waltz, also known as ‘Flowering Maple’, is an upright evergreen shrub native to Brazil. It belongs to the Malvaceae family, and it is commonly grown as an ornamental plant in gardens and indoor spaces.
The plant can reach a height and spread of up to 2 metres, with an upright and spreading habit. The leaves are medium-sized, lobed, and toothed, with a velvety texture, and they are usually bright green, but some varieties may have variegated foliage.
One of the most distinctive features of this Abutilon is its showy and pendulous flowers, which appear from Spring. The flowers are bell-shaped, about 5cm across, and they hang from long stalks and they are yellow in colour.
Overall, this is a great choice for adding colour and texture to a garden or indoor space. Its compact size and attractive flowers make it a popular choice for borders, containers, and hanging baskets.
How to care for your Abutilon Waltz
- Light: Prefers bright, indirect light or partial shade. Avoid direct sunlight, especially during the hottest part of the day, as it can scorch the leaves.
- Watering: The plant prefers consistently moist soil but does not tolerate waterlogged soil or standing water. Water the plant thoroughly when the top inch of soil feels dry, but avoid overwatering, which can lead to root rot.
- Fertilisation: Feed the plant with a balanced, water-soluble fertiliser once a month during the growing season. Reduce fertilisation in the Autumn and Winter months.
- Pruning: Prune the plant in early Spring to maintain its shape and size. Cut back any dead or damaged branches and pinch back the tips of the stems to encourage bushier growth and more blooming.
- Winter Care: It is not frost-tolerant and should be protected from freezing temperatures. If grown outdoors, mulch around the base of the plant to insulate the roots. If grown indoors, avoid placing the plant near cold drafts or heating vents.
- Repotting: Repot the plant in a slightly larger container every two to three years, using a well-draining potting mix. Prune any roots that are circling the bottom of the pot before repotting.
By following these care tips, you can enjoy the beauty of Abutilon Waltz in your garden or indoor space for many years to come.