2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: Summer – Autumn
- Hardiness: H3
- Eventual Height: 1.5 – 2.5m
- Eventual Spread: 0.5 – 1m
Abutilon Orange Hot Lava is a semi evergreen shrub that belongs to the Malvaceae family. It is a popular garden plant due to its striking bell-shaped flowers and attractive foliage.
This variety typically grows to a height of 2.5 metres and a spread of 1 metre and has an upright growth habit, with multiple stems branching out from the base. The leaves are a deep green colour and are slightly lobed. They are 5 to 10 cm in length and are covered with fine hairs, giving them a slightly velvety texture. The leaves are retained for most of the year, but may drop in colder climates.
The flowers of this Abutilon are the main attraction. They are bell-shaped and orange in colour with deep red veining and dark red calycesare that are borne from mid-Summer into Autumn, although may bloom sporadically throughout the year. The flowers are produced on long stalks that hang downward from the stems, giving the plant a graceful appearance.
In summary, this is a shrub with attractive foliage and striking bell-shaped flowers. It is hardy, easy to care for, and suitable for a variety of growing conditions. Whether grown as a specimen plant or in a mixed border, this is sure to add a splash of colour and interest to any garden.
How to care for your Abutilon Orange Hot Lava
- Soil: Prefers well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. Amend the soil with compost or other organic matter before planting.
- Watering: The shrub prefers moderate moisture and should be watered regularly during the growing season. Avoid overwatering, as it can lead to root rot. Water deeply once or twice a week, depending on the weather and soil conditions.
- Fertiliser: Apply a slow-release fertiliser in early Spring, before new growth begins. This will provide the plant with the necessary nutrients for the growing season. Avoid over-fertilising, as it can lead to excessive foliage growth and reduced flower production.
- Pruning: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any dead, damaged, or diseased wood as it appears. Prune lightly in late Winter or early Spring to maintain the shape and size of the shrub.
- Mulch: Apply a ayer of mulch around the base of the shrub to help retain moisture and suppress weeds.
- Winter Protection: Is half hardy and will need Winter protection. Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the shrub, and cover it to protect it from harsh winds and frost.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your Abutilon Orange Hot Lava remains healthy and beautiful for years to come.