2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Well drained
- Growth Rate: Average
- Flowering Period: Spring – Autumn
- Hardiness: H2
- Eventual Height: 2 – 4m
- Eventual Spread: 2 – 4m
Abutilon Ashford Red, also known as ‘Flowering Maple’ is a beautiful ornamental plant with a rich history dating back to ancient China.
This stunning shrub is prized for its bright red flowers and attractive green foliage. Growing up to 4 metres tall and wide, Abutilon Ashford Red is perfect for adding a pop of colour to your garden or landscaping project. The plant’s large, bell-shaped flowers bloom from spring to Autumn, attracting various pollinators to your garden. With its tolerance for a wide range of growing conditions, this is easy to care for and adaptable to a variety of climates.
How to care for your Abutilon Ashford Red
- Sunlight: Prefers full sun to partial shade, and will flower best in full sun. In areas with hot summers, it’s best to give your plant some afternoon shade to protect it from the harsh sun.
- Watering: Is drought tolerant once established, but it does require regular watering during its first growing season to become established. After that, water your shrub deeply once a week, or as needed, to keep the soil evenly moist but not waterlogged.
- Soil: Grows best in well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter. If your soil is heavy or clay-like, consider amending it with compost or other organic matter to improve the soil structure.
- Fertilising: Benefits from regular fertilising to encourage healthy growth and abundant blooms. Apply a balanced, slow-release fertiliser in the Spring, and again in mid-Summer.
- Pruning: Pruning can help to maintain its shape and encourage new growth. Prune your shrub back by one-third to one-half in the late winter or early spring, cutting back any dead or damaged wood and shaping the plant as desired.
By following these simple care instructions, you can help your Abutilon Ashford Red thrive and enjoy its bright red flowers and attractive foliage for years to come.