2-3 Litre Pot
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Fertile,well drained.
- Growth rate: Moderate.
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: H5
- Eventual height: 3 metres
- Eventual spread: 4 metres
Abelia Grandiflora, also known as ‘Glossy Abelia’, is a popular ornamental shrub known for its attractive foliage and long-lasting fragrant pale pink flowers. This versatile plant can be used for a variety of landscaping purposes, including hedges, borders, and foundation plantings.
Growing up to 3 metres tall and wide, Abelia Grandiflora is a hardy shrub that is easy to care for and adapts well to a variety of soil conditions. With a long blooming season from Summer to Autumn, this attractive shrub is sure to make a statement in your garden.
How to care for your Abelia Grandiflora
- Sunlight: Prefers full sun to partial shade, and will flower best in full sun. In areas with hot summers, it’s best to give your plant some afternoon shade to protect it from the harsh sun.
- Watering: It is drought tolerant once established, but it does require regular watering during its first growing season to become established. After that, water your shrub deeply once a week, or as needed, to keep the soil evenly moist but not waterlogged.
- Soil: It grows best in well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter. If your soil is heavy or clay-like, consider amending it with compost or other organic matter to improve the soil structure.
- Fertilising: Abelia Grandiflora benefits from regular fertilising to encourage healthy growth and abundant blooms. Apply a balanced, slow-release fertiliser in the Spring, and again in mid-Summer.
- Pruning: Pruning can help to maintain its shape and encourage new growth. Prune your shrub back by one-third to one-half in the late Winter or early Spring, cutting back any dead or damaged wood and shaping the plant as desired.
By following these simple care instructions, you can help your Abelia Grandiflora thrive and enjoy its attractive foliage and long-lasting blooms for years to come.